Welcome to the Sports Athletics quiz! If you are a fan of athletics, this quiz is perfect for you. Test your knowledge and find out how much you know about this Olympic sport. Challenge yourself and take the quiz!
Track and field sport, also known as athletics, is one of the oldest sports in the world. It is a competition that involves several specialties, including running, jumping and throwing. In this article, we will explore the history of athletic sports, the different specialties and its most famous athletes.
History of athletic sports
Athletics has its roots in ancient Greece, where the Olympic Games were held every four years beginning in 776 B.C. The games included a variety of events, including running, throwing and jumping. After the fall of the Roman Empire, athletic sports lost popularity in Europe, but were revived during the Renaissance.
Modern athletics began in the late 19th century, when the first national track and field championship was held in the United States. In 1896 the first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens, Greece, and athletics was one of the main sports.
Athletics encompasses a wide range of specialties, including:
- Running: races are divided into different distances, including the 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 5000 and 10,000 meters. There are also hurdle races, including the 110-meter hurdles for men and the 100-meter hurdles for women, and relay races, including the 4x100 and 4x400 meters.
- Jumps: jumps include the high jump, pole vault and long jump. In the high jump, athletes jump over a bar set at an increasing height. In the pole vault, athletes use a pole to jump over a bar set at an increasing height. In the long jump, athletes jump as far as they can.
- Throws: throws include the weight throw, discus throw, hammer throw and javelin throw. In the weight throw, athletes throw a metal ball as far as possible. In the discus throw, athletes throw a discus as far as possible. In the hammer throw, athletes throw a hammer as far as possible. In the javelin throw, athletes throw a javelin as far as possible.
Famous track and field athletes
There have been many famous athletes in athletics over the years. Some of the most famous include:
- Usain Bolt: Bolt is a Jamaican sprinter who has won eight Olympic gold medals and holds world records in the 100 and 200 meters.
- Carl Lewis: Lewis is an American sprinter and long jumper who has won nine Olympic gold medals and holds the world record in the long jump.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee: Joyner-Kersee is an American long jumper and multi-eventer who has won three Olympic gold medals and holds the world record in the long jump.
- Sergey Bubka: Bubka is a Ukrainian pole vaulter who won an Olympic gold medal and holds the world record in pole vaulting.
Track and field is a sport that has a long history and a wide range of specialties. The most famous athletes in track and field have set world records and won numerous Olympic medals. If you are interested in the sport, there are many opportunities to participate in local and national competitions.